Thursday, August 4, 2011

Food ^_^

All the food that I had during my trip was delicious. The first night I was in Seoul my friends and I got dinner at a BBQ place.


Sandra ^_^

That's pork meat. Since Sandra and I had never eaten at a Korean style BBQ restaurant before, Wen was in charge of cooking the meat. Once the meat is cooked, you wrap it in a piece of lettuce with some rice. 



Side dishes


Every restaurant you eat at gives various side dishes with your order. Kimchi is almost always given, and we also often had seaweed salad, and sprouts.


Wen with her jajangmyun


Jajangmyun was probably my favorite meal while I was there. I enjoyed it so much I requested to eat it a second time on the last day of my trip. Jajangmyun is Chinese noodles Korean style. It is known for looking disgusting, but the taste is amazing. The black sauce is sweet and has potatoes and onions in it. I cannot tell you how many times I have dreamed of eating this since I have been back home.
Paris Baguette


Although not Korean, I fell in love with Paris Baguette while I was in Korea. In Seoul there is a Paris Baguette on nearly every street. They are pretty reasonably priced (on the cheap side in America) and carry a wide array of goodies. They have dozens of pastries, cakes, and sandwiches. I stopped there many times during my stay, partly because of the delicious offerings, but also because I found that my body could handle spicy Korean food a bit better if I had some bread during the day. This sandwich was particularly good. One sandwich innovation that I have brought back from Korea is putting sliced cucumber on my sandwiches. I know it sounds a bit odd, but that crunch of the cucumber really adds to any deli sandwich!


Chicken soup with Hyemi
 
 
The day I met up with Hyemi, she took me to eat traditional Korean soup. This place was packed because the president recently ate there. Also on the day we went, it was considered to be one of the four "hot days" of Korean summer so on those days everyone should eat hot food. So that's what we did! The soup was really good, the broth was similar to what we have in America. However, in the bowl that we got was a half a chicken stuffed with rice. It was really great! I also tried a ginseng shot here. Ginseng is popular in Korea and is supposed to be good for the body. I just wasn't expecting it to be that strong!
Korean style pizza
 
 
One day I had Korean style pizza. This one is half potato and half shrimp. Both were good, but I enjoyed the potato side better. This restaurant was pretty cool as they had a salad and dessert bar. The salad bar included salad (I wish we had Kiwi dressing here!), potatoes, and various fruits. The dessert bar might have been my favorite part though, as it was a yogurt bar! You got a small cup and could choose the toppings for your yogurt like honey, cereal, fruit, and granola. Yum!
 
 
Bi Bim Bap
 
 
And you can't go to Korea without eating Bi Bim Bap! This was when we went to Insadong, a traditional Korean street in Seoul. You can see how many side dishes we had.
I was going to include street and snack food in this post but I think I'll save that for another entry. I really miss Korean food so much, so this weekend I plan on trying out a Korean market about a half an hour from my house. I can't wait to tell you about it ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment