Monday, November 14, 2011

Kimchi Pancakes

It's time for another food post! The other day I really felt like trying to make something I've never attempted before, so I decided to give Kimchi pancakes a shot. I found the recipe that I based mine off of here. I absolutely love this website. All the recipes are easy and she even has some videos up which I've found to be really helpful.

So to make Kimchi pancakes you start with....





about a half a cup of kimchi. I chop it into small squares. I throw this into a bowl and add about a tablespoon of water and about a tablespoon of kimchi juice.





Next I chop about a tablespoon or so of onion (I might add more next time as I really love onion) and add that. The onion should be chopped into squares also. 





Then I add about a teaspoon of salt (I'm not big on salt, you could add more) and about a tablespoon of sugar (once again, this can be adjusted to your taste, especially if you would like to make your pancake a bit less spicy).




Finally I add about a quarter cup of flour to hold the pancake together.






When you mix everything together it should look something like this. The batter shouldn't be too watery, but it also shouldn't be super thick either.





While you are mixing your ingredients together, you should heat your skillet up. I add about a tablespoon of sesame oil. You could use whatever oil you have on hand. This is also an amount I want to play around with as it was just a bit too much.




Once the skillet is heated, put your batter in the pan. It should be spread thinly and evenly. This should take some practice to get used to. I'm still not exactly sure what the exact perfect thickness is, but the last time it turned out pretty good.




After about two or three minutes I flipped my pancake and it looked perfect ^_^ It should be dark and crispy. Flipping the pancake is another thing I've had a problem with as my pancakes haven't wanted to flip all at the same time. I am thinking about making a few smaller pancakes next time. Cook the pancake another two minutes or so and it should be done!





Then you are ready to enjoy! Kimchi pancakes are insanely delicious, the taste cannot really be described. It is only slightly spicy, and the heated kimchi just has the best flavor. This recipe makes enough to feed me if I am very hungry -- maybe a small meal/large snack. Most of the time it would be the perfect size to share with a friend. Hopefully you will try to make kimchi pancakes someday, or if you are ever in the area let me know and I will make one for you ^_~

1 comment:

  1. These look so good! I'm going to have to try and make some. I love your food posts!

    ReplyDelete